Why Yoga for Kids?
Our children live in the fast-paced world of busy parents, school, and social pressures, incessant lessons, video games, and competitive sports. We usually don’t think of these things as stressful for kids, but often they are. Kids need a mental break, a feeling of accomplishment and connection to themselves and others. Kids know how to stop and realize that it is not all serious. They can be focused while being fearless and have lots of FUN!
When children learn techniques for self-health, relaxation, and inner strength, they can navigate life’s challenges a lot better. Yoga at an early age encourages confidence and body awareness with physical movement in a non-competitive environment which is healthy for every child.
Professional organizations that focus on children also support the idea behind yoga. For example, The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and The National Association of the Education for Young Children (NAEYC) recommend that children should participate in activities that support the development of the whole child. This is exactly what yoga is about!
There are so many benefits of yoga for kids, especially in today’s busy world.
Yoga Teaches Kids:
- To be strong - Yoga is a great way to move our bodies and feel healthy. When kids practice yoga and learn the different postures through stretching and breathing, their bodies become strong and flexible.
- How to focus - When kids practice yoga, they learn how to use the life force energy in our bodies to feel more focused, or motivated.
- How to be confident – Yoga can help kids strengthen their mind and body. As they begin to master their yoga practice and become stronger, they realize they have the ability to learn and do anything, making them much more confident in themselves.
- How to love their body – Kids yoga will help transform their relationship with their body. Yoga, which focuses on the body from the inside out, can teach them to view and appreciate their body as a whole, not just in segments. It centers on strength, flexibility, balance, and breath, rather than on appearance.
- How to breath better - When kids breathe deeply and fully, they become more aware and present, which can bring peacefulness or energy to their bodies and minds. Breath is a constant reminder to be right in the moment and enjoy it fully.
- How to quiet their mind and be relaxed – When kids practice yoga, they learn how to be still. This helps them to listen with attention
- How to respect others – By practicing yoga and working with partners or groups, kids learn to respect themselves as well as others.
Learn more on What is Kids Yoga?